I'd like you to keep those two simple words in mind throughout this whole class. In fact, keep them for life and for your whole journey as an artist! They are pure magic and will take you to places you never thought existed. They will open up a world of possibility and playfulness that will make you grow and set you free.
That's my intention for you and for all of us in this class.
And here is another thing I'd like you to keep in mind : paying attention. Pay attention to the way you feel, to your emotions, and to the impulses and inspiration that will show up for you. And especially pay attention to what feels good to you. I believe it's the best compass to guide you towards your most authentic art, your true voice as an artist.
Trust it. Follow it.
what is an art journal?
I've added art journaling to my painting practice in 2016 and soon found that the two practices complete each other in wonderful ways. The journal is really a place of experimentation and self-discovery, but different from the canvas. I put less pressure on myself in my journal. And the journal ends up being a well of inspiration for my other art.
I also bring it to my live classes. It helps me explain some of the challenges of the creative process to my students.
The journal can also be a wonderful way to keep track of the evolution of your art, your inspirations and influences month after month. It can even be a place to celebrate the completion of a painting and deepen the conversation with it by recreating favorite bits and discoveries, even after you no longer have the painting in your home.
Trust your wings
An art journal is a wonderful place to explore your truth, your stories, your curiosity. What if it became a map for your art?
Pay attention to the nudges of your inner artist. In this class, you're going to find lots of starting points and ideas to explore, and what I'd like you to do, is to really take these as opportunities to play and come closer to your truth:
- Whenever you see an idea or a technique that really excites you, pause the video, take a note of it or even better, try it right there in the moment. And when something does not resonate with you, just let it go and move on.
- But if something makes you feel this unmistakable mix of excitement and fear, of "I love that, that is so cool!!" and "I can't do it, I'm not good enough at... (fill the blank)", then definitely give it a try, and another and another until you've really explored it as fully as you can!
- And if at any point during the class, your journal calls to you, or an idea for a painting or some other artwork shows up, just stop everything else and dive right in! The class in itself is secondary. What is most important here is to invite inspiration, follow it with wild abandon and CREATE.
Each of the participants is going to move at a different pace and grow in different ways. You are so utterly, beautifully unique and I feel so honored to be on this journey with you and to have this opportunity to share my creative process with you.
I can't wait to see you grow your wings and to cheer you on as you bring to life the amazing art I know lives in your soul.
Welcome to The Artist & the Journal
Let this new adventure begin!
This class is completely self-paced with lifetime access. There is no time-frame to complete the lessons and I encourage you to tune into your own perfect rhythm and find your own flow! If you are new to art journaling, take the time to build this practice for yourself first. Get to know your journal and your own way of working in it, before diving into the last part of the class.
The contents are organized in 3 parts:
Invite your muse!
This part of the class is a toolbox and a well of inspiration with lots of tutorials to give you a solid foundation for art journaling or refresh your existing practice. Let's get playful and messy!
In this first part of the class we're going to cover:
- Art supplies
- Setting up your space + mini set-up for small spaces & traveling
- Creating custom collage papers from magazines, book pages etc.
- 10 ways to get rid of the blank page
- Finding what to journal about, including intuitive writing & journaling prompts
- Embracing your own perfectly imperfect handwriting and using it as a graphic element in your art!
THE MAGIC OF THE PAGE
This second part of the class is all about creating in our art journal.
We will honor the magic of the creative process and explore intuition and intention through the making of two art journal spreads:
- A very intuitive spread with collage and cut-out words. This project is really about tuning in to our emotions and our inner stories, and let spontaneity and curiosity take the lead!
- A more intentional spread where we start with an idea and let it morph along the way. In this project we will honor the magic of our personal creative process.
FROM PAGE TO CANVAS
It's time to take the leap!
This part of the class is a deep dive into mixed media painting. The journal will be our guide and inspiration as we create on a big canvas.
- I will first share some ideas about how you can use your art journal for inspiration, and creative tips to plan your painting while letting the door open to intuition. I will share composition tips and techniques like using a viewfinder and quick thumbnail sketches, as well as observing and learning from your own art!
- Then you will be by my side every step of the way as I create a large painting inspired by the combination of two pages from my journal. I will show you some ways to overcome getting stuck and how to turn it into new opportunities, decision-making processes, how to stay in the flow and challenge yourself in a way that feels good and fun, and how to bring a piece to completion.
In this painting project you will see me really challenge myself to overcome one of my biggest art fears (and desires): painting in red! My hope is that by witnessing first hand how I deal with it all, you will feel inspired and more confident to grow your wings in new ways and rise to your own challenges.
Share your magic!
Our Facebook group is a wonderful supportive space to share every step of this journey with like-minded artists! At the end of each lesson you'll find prompts to take a fresh look at your creative process and share your magic!
This is also the best place to ask me any art-related questions (for any technical questions, always prefer sending us an email at email@example.com).