Art journal page 2
In this second art journaling project, I want to share how to build a page more intentionally. Intention doesn't mean that you have a clear idea from the start of what your page is going to look like, and intuition is still very important, but what it means is that you come to the page with a starting point. It can be a theme you want to journal about, or a particular technique, image or color scheme that inspires you. For instance you can create a page about:
- a place you've traveled to
- a cherished memory
- a challenge you want to explore
- a question you want to reflect upon, for instance the creative process and what it means to you to be an artist
- a story you've read, a scene in a movie that has touched you, a character you identify with, a song you love...
... and so many other options!
While I was creating this page, I had two stories, two images in mind that I used for inspiration:
- The first is this incredibly beautiful video of a song called "Take Flight".
- The second is my favorite passage from this magical book called "Unfurl", and you can actually see its words shine through the face on the page. I'm sharing more about this on my blog HERE
As you'll see in the videos, this page turned out to be a way for me to reflect upon the creative process. If you don't know what your intention could be, then why not start there?
We're going to practice:
- Choosing an intention, a starting point: a theme, a color scheme, an image...
- Feeling your way into the composition
- Making choices
- Staying open to intuition and playfulness
- Bringing the page together
These steps are going to be super useful in the next part of the class, where we take our art from the page to the canvas!
SHARE YOUR MAGIC!
Please share the making of your page in our Facebook group! Here are some suggestions of what you can post:
- Share your intention / starting points for your page
- Share process pictures of your page as you create it
- Share a picture of your finished page
- Share close-ups of your finished page
- Share about the stories that have revealed themselves along the way
- Share what you have learned through the making of your page
- Share what you have loved the most in the process of creating this page, and what you love most about the finished page
Join the group and share your magic, I can't wait to see what you create and of course I'm here to answer all your questions!
You can also share your photos related to the class on Instagram with the hashtag #artistjournalclass Have fun!