From page to canvas
Now that we've stretched our beautiful wings, it's time to take the leap from the page to the canvas! Are you feeling excited? Inspired? Scared?... It's all good! You're right where you're supposed to be. Remember the following guiding lights for this next part of your journey:
- playfulness and freedom
- self-love and self-compassion
- awareness and curiosity
- trust yourself and follow what feels good!
I invite you to take it all as a learning experience and an opportunity to gently expand your comfort zone. Bring to the canvas everything you already love about YOUR art, everything you're comfortable with:
- your favorite tools, supplies, techniques
- your favorite color palette and mark-making
- your personal stories, symbols and themes
challenges & comfort zone...
In the videos you're going to see me challenge myself with something I'm not comfortable with. At all... But that doesn't mean you should do it too! I've decided to do this because I felt it would be a great way to show you first-hand how I deal with fears, getting stuck etc. And you'll see that I constantly go back to things that I AM comfortable with, to help overcome the challenges.
If you do decide to do something that's challenging for you (for instance working big for the first time, creating a portrait or an abstract, or a series for the first time), do it because you feel a really strong desire, that unmistakeable mix of fear and excitement. And again, take it as a learning experience. You don't have to create a masterpiece every time!
At the beginning of the video I talk a little about EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique). If you're interested in finding out more, you'll find a really good Youtube channel HERE.
Share your magic!
I would love for you to share this new part of the journey in our Facebook group! Here are some suggestions of what you can post:
- Share a picture of your painting space. Is it different from your art journal space?
- Share before/after pictures of your canvas when it's blank and then after adding your very first layer. How have you started? Painting? Journaling? Doodling? Collage? We want to see!
- If you use composition tricks such as the viewfinder or thumbnail sketches to "plan" your painting, please share! (and remember they're not supposed to look pretty!)
- Share images of when you get stuck and of the solutions you find in your journal. NB: You can ask for help but try to find solutions first. Also, everyone please offer advice only if clearly sollicited, thank you!
- Share images of your finished painting
- After your painting is finished, take a step back and let it tell you its story. Then we'd love for you to share it!
- Share images of your space after the creative storm has passed!
Remember, our Facebook group is open indefinitely and there is no timeframe for the class, so you're always welcome to join back in at any time!
I can't wait to see what you create and of course I'm here to answer your questions!
You can also keep sharing your art and connecting with fellow students from all my classes in my main group, Laly's Atelier, HERE