Welcome to the classroom!
Thank you for joining Layers of Light, I am so thrilled that you're here! On this page you'll find an overview of all the contents of the course. You can access each page from the menu in the left sidebar.
There is also a Resources section where you'll find extra videos, creativity tips and more!
Make yourself at home and let your light shine!
Are you ready to dive in? Here is your map for the journey! The class is composed of 6 lessons organized in 3 chapters. Each lesson includes a main painting project as well as warm-up activities, gentle soul work and inspiration prompts… You will be invited to look at your world with new eyes and gather inspiration to use again and again in your art!
ChaptER 1: The Dance of Light & Shadow
This chapter is all about paying attention to light in our life, in our surroundings, in nature... so that we can infuse it into our art in a way that feels authentic and natural to us. It's about connecting with our inner light, but also about accepting the shadows and embracing contrast.
- In this lesson we will explore our relationship with the light around us and in us.
- We will create a Soulboard to connect with our inner guiding light and inspire us all along this journey.
- Contrast is an essential part of art, and life. In this lesson we will gently make friends with the shadows to allow our light to shine brighter.
- We will tame the blank canvas and let intuition take over with a fun 2 minutes collage warm-up!
- We will create a peaceful and moody painting with collage, paint, ink and a black & white image.
chapter 2: Layers of Life
In this chapter we will get inspired by the layers that compose life, from the layers we wear, the layers of a landscape, to the layers of meaning of our personal symbols and in the stories of our souls. We will create art that has a tactile quality, building up soft, gritty and translucent layers of plaster, wax, fiber, paper... We will keep journaling and incorporating our words into poetic artwork that tells our unique truth.
- We will go on a scavenger hunt for the textures that give our life its unique feel.
- We will create a mini collage series with encaustic wax on plaster gauze substrates and weave found words through the pieces.
- We stand under the sky and walk on the horizon, on the threshold of past and future, grounded in the present moment. Where does your light guide you?
- We will create a dreamy landscape painting with gorgeous layers of paper, wax and vintage lace!
chapter 3: Shine your truth
Light is a symbol of truth. In this final chapter we will explore the layers of meaning of our personal symbols and stories. We will bring it all together to create deep, meaningful artwork that is an authentic expression of who we are. We will keep journaling and incorporating our words into poetic pieces that tell our unique truth.
- We will explore our personal symbols and incorporate them in a series of small, deeply layered and light-filled paintings. We will choose a personal theme and work with a fun grid composition.
- I will teach you how to build up misty, translucent layers with my favorite faux-encaustic technique!
- In this final lesson, we will shine a light on the stories that live within ourselves: personal stories, childhood memories and fairy-tales, favorite literature…
- We will write a poetic affirmation of our inner light.
- We will create a dreamy, figurative painting that honors our inner artist and supports us as we shine our light into the world.
Each lesson includes inspiration prompts to help you find and gather inspiration!
For me, the art work and the inner work naturally go hand in hand. Both are soul work. So throughout this course I will offer some prompts for you to explore your inner world, in search of your inner light... I invite you to grab a journal or notebook, and use it as a starting point for the journey! If you already have a journal, or an art journal, you can absolutely use it. Or if you want to dedicate a journal to this course, you can do that too. We will use journaling to gather thoughts and inspiration, feelings and discoveries that will blend with the art we make.
Photography is a great way to explore the world around you, train your eyes to find everyday magic, and capture inspiration to use in your art, feed your soul and kindle your creative spark.
Instagram also offers a great way to share your findings with the world, and with your fellow light seekers! Use the hashtag #layersoflightart to share what you find and create.
Pinterest has become one of my favorite ways to gather and collect inspiration, and also to organize it. Just like organizing my studio, I find that creating ways to easily access inspiration is super helpful. Every time I have an idea for a new project, I create a Pinterest board for it and fill it with inspiring images, articles, videos... Soon enough, the "mood" for my project becomes more tangible and inspires me to start creating!
All along this course, I will encourage you to create Pinterest boards that reflect your own personal inspiration around different themes. And to get you started, I have created a Pinterest page with curated inspiration just for you! Start exploring here: Laly's Atelier
NB: Of course, only use Pinterest if it inspires you! If you prefer you could also create collage moodboards with paper and glue, or even do both!
Light Bearer interviews
I am beyond thrilled and honored to include the amazingly beautiful words of some of my favorite artists, friends, light-bearers, brave and talented women who inspire me daily. I know they will inspire you!
- Photographer, writer and creative mentor Sarah Treanor
- Writer, storyteller and magic finder Meghan Genge, author of "Unfurl" (my favorite book this year!)
- Mixed media artist, uplifting teacher and soulful inspirer Petra Hrziwnatzki
- Writer, artist, Beauty-seeker and circle maker Jessica Leigh Brogan
- Plaster and jewelry artist, instructor and mentor Stephanie Lee
- NEW interview! Collage artist, teacher and nature lover Roxanne Evans Stout