Little book of whispers - online art class
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I’ve never tried mixed media, art journaling or book-binding before. Is this class for me?
Yes, it absolutely is! This project is a lovely opportunity to try your hand at different techniques, experiment and find out what you love! It is all very intuitive and I'll demonstrate a variety of options for you to play with, including a very easy no-sew binding technique.
I also encourage you to participate and share your creations in the Facebook group, where you will be encouraged by other beginners and seasoned artists alike!
I’m a seasoned artist. Is this class for me?
Yes! I’d be honored to have you with us! This class is an opportunity to connect more with your inner artist in gentle and subtle ways. It is certainly not an advanced book-binding class, but an invitation to combine lots of different techniques and materials in new ways. It's also a great way to honor past projects by using all the beautiful tiny scraps and left-overs that you've kept (if you're anything like me, I bet you already have lots of them!).
The project is so versatile that you will be able to easily adapt it to your own style (if you're a fan of bright colors, go ahead and play with the rainbow!). My wish is that it gives you new insights on your own creative process and a beautiful container to express your artist soul.
I'm not very comfortable writing, I never know where to start!
The beauty of this process is that you don't have to know beforehand what your book will be about or what you're going to write about. In fact, you don't even have to write at all if you don't want to!
We will be using a really fun process of picking cut-out words and playing with them to invite the whispers and allow inner guidance and stories to make themselves known. Cut-out words (especially from favorite books) are the most wonderful tiny oracles... All you really need is to open up to the unexpected and let yourself be surprised!
How do I know if this course is for me?
There’s only one true way to know: trust your intuition! If it feels exciting and stirs your curiosity, if it resonates with you in a way that feels really good, that feels like joy, like home, or like a big good sigh and a smile... then it most certainly is for you. Your inner artist knows what she or he wants. Let your inner whispers guide you...
Why are seats limited? will you open the class again in the future?
Once you are taking the class, I truly want you to have an amazing time. This means that I want to be available to support everyone, especially at the beginning. That's why I prefer to limit seats for each session.
Once I sign up, when will I receive my Login?
- Login instructions will be sent a few days before class starts, typically 2-3 days before, to the e-mail address you used during registration.
- If you need to update your contact email at any point before or during class, you'll be able to do so on the "Thank You" page that opens automatically after you complete your payment.
- If you register while class has already begun, you will receive login instructions within 48hrs.
- You will be guided to create your own member login and password
- NB: if you are already a student in one of my other classes, you will still need to create a new member login for this class. We suggest you use the same email address and the same password to which you can add the initials LBW for the class. For instance, your password for Little Book of Whispers could be 12345LBW and your password for Layers of Light 12345LL.
- Please add email@example.com to your contacts to make sure that our emails arrive safely in your inbox!
- You will have access to the Facebook group around the same time.
How long will the class and videos be available?
- You will have lifetime access to the classroom and videos! "Lifetime" technically means as long as we are operating our business, and our website www.lalymille.com is up and running.
- The Facebook group will stay open indefinitely.
Are the videos downloadable?
When you sign up, you get lifetime access and will be able to watch the videos within the classroom as many times as you wish! But to protect the integrity of our content (and all the hard work that went into it!) the videos are not downloadable.
Therefore, before signing up, please make sure that your internet connection allows you to smoothly stream videos online. Refunds will not be made after registration. Thank you!
What do I need to participate?
The supplies list is available HERE. Basically you will need:
- Matte gel medium and a flat paintbrush
- A few pencils and pens
- White acrylic paint or gesso
- Assorted scraps of paper and fiber (ribbon, lace, burlap...) in colors and textures you love
- Some kind of thin cotton fabric (cheesecloth, bookbinder's cloth, lace or simply an old shirt or a piece of sheer curtain fabric)
- For the stitch-binding option: an awl, a needle and some strong thread
- For the no-stitch binding option: nothing!
- For the plaster and wax cover option: some plaster gauze and the encaustic materials listed HERE.
- For the no-plaster cover option: a book-cover (preferably vintage but there are workarounds if you don't have one)
A selection of free, high-res printable vintage papers and images is ready for you on the classe's Pinterest board here (and I keep adding more daily!):
Super important: You will need high-speed internet access to stream the class videos online. To make sure, you can check out one of the following free videos: if it works fine, then you're good to go!
Do I need to buy everything on the supplies list?
Absolutely not! I highly recommend that you use any materials that you already have! Very few "art" materials are needed for this project: it's all about gathering discarded things and giving them new life! Go on a scavenger hunt and collect any materials that feel good or that you could use as substitutes for the ones I use in the project. Stay open to the unexpected!
can I communicate with other participants?
Yes! And I warmly encourage you to! Community has been, and still is, one of the most important ingredients in walking my creative path.
- Our "Little Book of Whispers" Facebook group is a safe, positive place to share your creations and questions, to encourage your fellow class-mates and receive support. Of course it is totally optional.
- You can also use the comments section at the bottom of each lesson within the classroom site.
the price of the course is in euros, how much is it in my currency?
You can check the price conversion with online tools such as xe.com. It fluctuates slightly from day to day. You will be given the exact price in your own currency on Paypal at checkout.
Can I gift this workshop to a friend ?
With pleasure ! And we've made it super easy: During checkout, tick the "gift" box. You will be prompted to:
- enter your friend's contact information, so we can send them their login instructions before the start of class
- write a message that will be automatically delivered to them
- choose the date you want them to receive your message and gift!
Do you offer any refunds?
No, all sales are final. If for any reason you can't take the workshop yourself, you can transfer your seat to a friend before the start of class. Please make sure you understand and agree to our terms and conditions before signing up. In particular, please make sure your internet connection allows you to stream videos online. The videos are not downloadable.
How can I reach out to you?
Please visit the contact page. We will do our best to reply to your message within 48 hours. NB: We are located in France so there might be a little timezone difference!