Layers of Light - mixed media art class
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How does the ecourse work?
The course is composed of 3 chapters with 2 lessons per chapter, so 6 lessons in total.
Each lesson includes a full painting project on video, as well as warm-up activities and gentle soul work, journaling, photography, Pinterest prompts… All the contents complement each other and there is a progression from one lesson to the next, so it is preferable to follow the order if you can.
The class is completely self-paced and you are invited to slow down, tune into your own rhythm and approach the creative process with mindfulness and curiosity. All the contents are available right from the start and you can revisit them as often as you like, for as long as you like.
Make sure to make some time regularly to complete the course. Don't let "lifetime access" be an excuse to procrastinate! Remember that this is a gift you are giving yourself: it is much deserved self-care time, self-love, time for growth and connection. It matters. YOU matter. So don’t save it for "later".
I’ve never painted or tried mixed media before. Is this class for me?
Yes, it absolutely is! In fact, my hope is that it gives you a solid foundation for your creative practice, so it can grow from a place of truth and authenticity.
I’m a self-taught artist, and a "late-blooming" one at that: I took up painting at 32! I know what it feels like to have this restless longing for more creativity. It’s your "inner light" calling you, the creative child you once were, the artist who lives within... You ARE creative, no matter what you believe or what others may have told you. We all are! It’s part of being human and has nothing to do with a few "chosen ones" or a special gift.
You were born with your creative wings, they are ready for you, waiting for you, eager to take you to new places. Trust them and let yourself be surprised!
The beginner’s spirit is a true gift, and all the projects in this class are doable. Of course there will be a learning curve if this is completely new to you. Commitment and perseverance are key when we start to shake things up, and it's totally OK to mess up! My wish for you is that you make lots of "mistakes" and acknowledge that they are a good thing, because it’s the best way to learn. Trust, self-compassion and a sense of adventure are super important.
I also strongly encourage you to participate and share your creations in the Facebook group, where you will be encouraged by other beginners and seasoned artists alike. When you see others who are more advanced on their journey, do not fall into the trap of comparison, but rather, let this inspire you and give you faith that you will get there too. All creatives have been right where you are!
I’m a seasoned artist. Is this class for me?
Yes! Many seasoned and professional artists have joined us already and I’d be honored to have you with us!
This class is full of my personal techniques, some I have learned and pass on in my own ways, others I have discovered through happy accidents and experimentation. I’m a self-taught artist, and teach in a heart-centered, non-academic way. You’ll see me in action and will be guided to explore your own world, inside and out: the inner work of this course will bring you closer to your most authentic creative voice, and the projects and techniques are so varied that they will certainly broaden your horizon.
My wish for you is that this class shakes things up for you in beautiful ways, and that you gain lots of new ideas and inspiration for the next steps of your artistic journey.
How do I know if this course is for me?
There’s only one true way to know: trust your intuition! If it feels exciting and stirs your curiosity, if it resonates with you in a way that feels really good, that feels like joy, like home, or like a big good sigh and a smile... then it most certainly is for you. Your inner artist knows what she or he wants. Let your inner light guide you!
Why are seats limited? will you open the class again in the future?
Once you are taking the class, I truly want you to have an amazing time. This means that I want to be available to support everyone, especially at the beginning. That's why I prefer to limit seats for each session.
Once I sign up, when will I receive my Login?
- Login instructions will be sent a when class starts to the e-mail you used during registration. If you need to update your contact email after check-out, you'll be able to do so on the "Thank You" page that opens automatically after you complete your payment.
- If you register while class has already begun, you will receive login instructions within 48hrs.
- You will be able to create your own member login and password.
- Please add email@example.com to your contacts to make sure that our emails arrive safely in your inbox!
- You will have access to the Facebook group around the same time.
How long will the class and videos be available?
- You will have lifetime access to the classroom and videos! "Lifetime" technically means as long as we are operating our business, and our website www.lalymille.com is up and running.
- The Facebook group will stay open indefinitely.
Are the videos downloadable?
When you sign up, you get lifetime access and will be able to watch the videos within the classroom as many times as you wish! But to protect the integrity of our content (and all the hard work that went into it!) the videos are not downloadable.
Therefore, before signing up, please make sure that your internet connection allows you to smoothly stream videos online. Refunds will not be made after registration. Thank you!
What do I need to participate?
The supplies list is available HERE. You will need:
- A basic set of art supplies including some acrylic paints, inks, gesso and heavy matte acrylic gel medium, plus any supplies you already have (craft supplies, scrap-booking and office supplies are great to experiment with!).
- A few paintbrushes, including a medium-sized flat brush for collage.
- A variety of materials to stamp and make marks with, including an old credit card / plastic card. Some of my favorite options are bubble-wrap and shelf-liner.
- Pieces of paper and fiber: magazine pages, tissue paper, packing paper, bookpages, sheet music, sewing pattern paper, old clothes, ribbon, lace... You don't need to buy anything, ask around to your friends and family!
- Some substrates to create on: stretched canvases or wood panels. Wood, MDF and shelving left-overs from your DIY store are a great, unexpensive option.
- One of the projects involves plaster gauze and a bit of sturdy canvas (burlap).
- Two of the projects involve encaustic wax. A basic encaustic set-up list is available HERE. If you do not wish or cannot use encaustic, don't let it stop you: you can try using the "faux-encaustic" technique from week 3 instead!
- A camera (nothing fancy, the one on your phone is fine!)
This e-course contains many high-definition videos: you will need high-speed internet access to stream them online. Refunds cannot be made after registration.
What if I don't speak/understand English well?
We're happy to announce that as of January 2017, captions in English will be available on all the videos! And I'm not English myself, so don't worry, I don't speak too fast.
There's also a full translation of the class into French (french version of the classroom + subtitles on the videos).
Do I need to buy the whole supplies list?
Absolutely not! Go on a scavenger hunt and collect any tools and materials that you can (safely!) experiment with, or that you could use as substitutes for the ones I use in the tutorials. This is exactly how it all started for me, and how I came up with some of my favorite personal techniques. Stay open to the unexpected!
can I communicate with other participants?
Yes! And I warmly encourage you to! Community has been, and still is, one of the most important ingredients in walking my creative path.
- Our "Circle of Light" Facebook group is a safe, positive place to share your creations and questions, to encourage your fellow class-mates and receive support. Of course it is totally optional.
- You can also use the comments section at the bottom of each lesson within the classroom site.
Will the projects be the same as shown in the PROMO video?
Most of the images in the video are from samples made specifically for the course, or personal artwork similar to what I will teach you, so yes!
That being said, even though I'll be sharing with you my personal creative process, and you will see me complete the projects from start to finish, I will always encourage you to experiment with what feels good and natural to you: the shapes, colors, composition, textures that most speak to you. And to stretch your creative muscles by finding new ways to use the supplies and materials you have at your disposal. My wish is that sharing my process inspires you to develop your own unique expression.
Can I share / exhibit / sell the art I create from the projects of the course?
- If the art you create from the workshop ends up being very personal and different from my own, then yes!
- If the pieces you create end up being very similar to the projects I demonstrate, then it is not ok to exhibit them either offline or online as your own personal creations. They are part of your learning journey but should not be presented as your own, unique art. Therefore it is not ok to sell them either.
- If in doubt, you can email me a picture and ask me directly. I'll be glad to help!
- You are of course welcome to share your creations on your blog or social media, as long as you clearly mention me and/or link back to www.lalymille.com/layersoflight.
- I trust your common sense and integrity ♥
the price of the course is in euros and USD, how much is it in my currency?
You can check the price conversion with online tools such as xe.com. It fluctuates slightly from day to day. You will be given the exact price in your own currency on Paypal at checkout.
Do you offer any refunds?
No, all sales are final, so please make sure you understand and agree to our terms and conditions before signing up. In particular, please make sure your internet connection allows you to watch videos online. The videos are not downloadable.
How can I reach out to you?
Please visit the contact page. We will do our best to reply to your message within 48 hours. NB: We are located in France so there might be a little timezone difference!